Seafood Coquille St. Jacques (co-key-saint-jock)

Seafood Coquille St. Jacques


Part of growing up with a fussy eater like my mother, meant we never tried new things.
Once I got older I decided to be more adventurous!
Even just last year, although I am a registered, voting member of the "don't like fish" club,

I tried John's meals (bravely) and learned I actually LIKE ocean fish!
***guess I am going to get kicked out of the club***
I tried mahi mahi, tilapia and the last time we went I actually ordered a plate of red snapper!!!!!!!!!

I have tried and liked crab, shrimp, lobster, shark and alligator.

I have tried mussels, octopus, squid, eel, clams, cod, perch and haddok with no real fondness.
I will eat battered fish on occasion but it is not my go to meal.

This however is a dish I learned to make years and years ago.
Personally, I have not found anyone who did not enjoy it,
and I KNOW Aunt Sandra is going to be thrilled when she gets a serving of it!



SO! 
it is super super easy to make.







You can change the ingredients to fit YOUR taste,
and yes it does freeze well.

Step 1:

1⁄4 cup melted butter
1⁄4 cup flour
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups whole milk
1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese

*** my recipe also calls for small amounts of finely diced onions and peppers

  1. Add flour, mustard, salt and pepper.
    Stir to bring together, slowly add milk.
    Cook on medium until thickened.
    Add cheese.
    Turn off heat and c
    ontinue cooking till smooth
    and flour has absorbed all the milk.
    It will be like velvet.
    Remove from heat and set aside.
1 minced shallot or onion
1⁄2 cup brandy or 1⁄2 cup sherry wine or 1⁄2 cup white wine or apple juice
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons chopped parsley (fine)
2 lbs of your favourite seafood!
(mine is always crab, lobster, shrimp and a few scallops
and depending on price it can be fresh, frozen or canned)

  1. In another pan,
    saute shallots/onions in butter and  wine.
    Add seafood and parsley
    and barely cook 2 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat
    add to sauce and stir well.
  3. It can also be done family style!

1 cup grated cheese (swiss, gruyere, marble - whatever)
1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs

  1. Fill shell shaped dishes (or oven safe individual dishes) with mixture,
    top with cheese
    sprinkle with breadcrumb
    and sprinkle with paprika for color.
  2. Bake in 400 degree oven just until cheese melts and crumbs brown.
  3. Serve at once.




We choose 
to serve ours 
with a side of rice 
and on biscuits.







It is best known 
with piped 
mashed potatoes on top.






Prefer a puff pastry top?







This is still really tasty 
reheated the next day, 
but yummier on a croissant!




"Bon Appetit!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Batter for Fondue

Leftover Scalloped Potato Soup

Legal Lasagna